Denise Goldberg's blog

Three seasons in three days
Sedona 2004

Friday, January 16, 2009

Introduction

Dreaming of sunshine, and a quick escape

Winter? Why? It was time to escape. Destination: what I hoped was a sunny long weekend at the end of February of 2004 - a bit of hiking in Sedona. The weather? Well it might be warm, and it might be cool, but it should be an improvement over the cold Northeast.

I read up on Sedona before my winter escape there. Well, mainly I perused the hiking book I bought - Sedona Hikes, by Richard & Sherry Mangum. Since I only had a small amount of time, I thought I'd better narrow down my hiking options from the 135 hikes listed in the book!

Anyway, back to the vortexes... Native Americans have viewed the Sedona area as sacred and to be used only for special ceremonies. And now Sedona is known for a convergence of energy vortexes, drawing in people attracted to spirituality and (supposedly) New Age religions. I take a much more pragmatic view of things - I'm going to Sedona for the beautiful red rocks. I do get a sense of wonder and energy from beautiful geologic formations, but vortexes? I just don't know...

Red rocks were on my mind...