Denise Goldberg's blog

Three seasons in three days
Sedona 2004

Friday, February 27, 2004

Wet: a day of rain

A quiet but soaking start to the day

I woke up this morning, and it's quiet. I slept with the window open - am I lucky, is it dry? I looked, and the ground is wet, but I couldn't tell if it was raining. Down to breakfast, nicely included with the room at the Hampton Inn, and yes, it is raining. I had a leisurely breakfast, and enjoyed talking with some of the other guests and with the woman at the front desk. Still raining...

Well, I know I won't be happy sitting around the hotel, so I guess I'm just going to have to get wet. First stop of the day was to pick up an umbrella. I won't be missed out there on the trail, and I'll clash with the red rocks since I selected a hot pink umbrella! I really wanted an umbrella hat, but no such luck, so I had to get a normal umbrella. I decided to stop by the library before I headed out to find my first hike of the day, hoping that they had Internet access. What a nice set-up - 10 computers with a 1 hour limit, and 2 with a 15 minute limit. Good - I can check email and post a couple of blog entries, a good way to start a rainy day.

It's still gray out there, but it's time to hit the trails!


Yup, rainy and foggy too... No problem, I'm going hiking anyway!




Red rocks? Red mud!

I pulled into the parking lot at the Boynton Canyon trailhead thinking that perhaps I was a little crazy to set out in the rain. But wait - there's another woman getting out of the only other car in the lot, popping up a wild-colored umbrella, and setting out down the trail. OK, I'm not the only crazy one! Camera in hand, hot pink umbrella providing a little bit of shelter, time to head out to commune with the red rocks.

The rain let up after a very short time, and I discovered that the red rocks make a very messy red mud. Still, it was a beautiful hike. The mist flirting with the tops of the rock formations reminded me of my very misty ride down the Antrim Coast in Ireland last September. Some of those pictures were fine, so I kept clicking away. The scenery was beautiful, and the mist made it even prettier.

The clouds seem to be lifting a bit, maybe a good sign, or maybe wishful thinking on my part! I was toasty warm on my hike - except for my hands, that is. I just checked the local weather, and it's only 39 degrees. I kept thinking I should dig into my pack for my gloves, but I just didn't do it. It would have been smart...

Time to head out again - as I passed the library I thought I'd take advantage of computer access to do a quick post, but it's only 3:15, and there is more hiking out there just waiting for my feet.


Red rocks highlighted by water...


A little wet, wouldn't you say?


As much as I would have liked to have dry weather for hiking, the fog does amazing things to the views.




Quiet... wait, what's that noise?

Quiet, relaxing, reading a book in my room... I started hearing a background noise outside, but what could it be?

It's snow! No wait, snow doesn't make noise. But it was white, and cold looking. I went outside for a minute, and it was some kind of frozen precipitation, probably sleet or freezing rain. It was a bit surreal, looking at the steam rising from the hotel's heated swimming pool as white stuff rained down. I wonder what tomorrow will bring!


Ready for a swim anyone?